Saturday, April 05, 2008

Prescription Drug Commercials - Part 2

Another thing I find really ridiculous about prescription drug commercials is some of the warnings they mention.

Of course, I understand that this simply is a legal requirement that each company must follow in order to advertise their spectacular products, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

One of my favorite examples of this is the warning for many sleep aids stating that "after taking _______ sleep aid you should not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how _______ sleep aid affects you." Who in their right mind thinks, "Oh, I have to go dig that large ditch by the elementary school with this massive backhoe, but let me take this drug that will probably make me fall asleep first..."?

I have a much easier time understanding the driving part of this statement because a large majority of people in our society actually drive. But if you are going to mention something like operating heavy machinery, why don't you mention other things like flying a plane, shooting a gun, or operating a Tilt-A-Whirl?

No comments: