Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Big Day

My car is currently being worked on at Pep Boys. Because of this, I am currently without a set of wheels (other than my bike). The problem is I had to work today.

I decided I had been "in training" long enough, and made the decision to ride my bike to work today. I've gone on 10+ mile (16+ km) bike rides since purchasing my road bike, and I only work about 7 miles away from home.

Leaving at about 7am this morning, I made it to work at about 7:35am. This was decent timing for me, although I keep no official record of how fast I cycle. (I really should). It was a very windy day today (at least for Fresno standards) reaching from 15 mph to 28 mph gusts. I didn't hit too much wind on the way to work except for the last mile, where it was manageable.

On my way home however, it was the first mile that I had very little wind, and the rest of the ride was 25 mph wind in the exact opposite direction that I was traveling. This was a little frustrating, but I like to look on the bright side of life and say that it made for a better work out.

I made it through the day though, and asking myself when I shall do that again.

At least my bike gained some utility other than just for exercise, and with gas prices where they are, I probably just saved myself a few dollars!

2 comments:

maddie said...

I think the biggest feat is that you didn't get plowed by a fresnan in a Hummer! Now that says something about your biking skills.

Luke said...

It's probably more smart bike riding than skilled bike riding. I try to make eye contact with any driver that might be turning into my path, and shoulder check as much as possible (which can be a little unnerving).