Tuesday, September 23, 2008

HTC Touch HD

At least I am not as late on this one as I was on the HTC Touch Diamond, but HTC recently announced a new addition to their Touch lineup, the Touch HD, with a full, wide, HD quality screen smartphone. While a few of the specs are the same as the Touch Diamond, there are quite a few improvements and changes.

HTC Touch HD


HTC Touch Diamond


Here is my comparison of the HTC Touch HD to the (Apple iPhone 3G). (Here is my original comparison of the Touch Diamond to the iPhone 3G)
  • 115mmx62.8mmx12mm (115.5x62.1x12.3)
  • 3.8in screen (3.5in screen)
  • 480x800 px (480x320 px)
  • 146.4g (133g)
  • 3G (3G)
  • 5.0MP Camera (2.0MP Camera)
  • Secondary Camera in front (No secondary Camera)
  • A-GPS (A-GPS)
  • Resistive & Capacitive Touch Inputs (Capacitive & Resistive Inputs)
  • 528MHz Processor (620MHz processor underclocked to 412MHz)
  • MicroSD expansion slot (8GB or 16GB of Internal Storage)
  • G-Sensor for screen orientation (Accelerometer/Proximity/Ambient Light sensor)
  • 1350mAh battery (1400mAh battery)
  • 288MB RAM (128MB RAM estimated)
There are some fairly substantive differences between the Touch Diamond and Touch HD. I would say the biggest differences are the Touch HD has a larger screen, even better resolution, bigger size (almost the exact same size as the iPhone), better camera, and a MicroSD expansion slot instead of integrated memory. The Touch HD still uses Touch Flo 3D ontop of Windows Mobile 6.1 platform.

I was very thrilled about the Touch Diamond, but I like this Touch HD even better. The only complaint I do have about it is the larger size (almost exactly the same size as the iPhone), but I guess with the larger screen this is almost a necessity. Look at this Sizeasy comparison of the iPhone, Touch HD, Touch, and Touch Diamond. The other thing I might miss is the lack of navigation control buttons, which I actually use quite a bit especially when navigating with one hand. However, I think with the larger screen size this may be less of an issue.

This appears to be a new top contender for my next phone, but it will all come down to what is available when I am ready to get a new phone.

No comments: