Thursday, August 14, 2008

Accent Game

As someone who has lived and traveled in and to multiple countries around the world, accents are very fascinating to me. I enjoy guessing people's accents, and so when I saw this game I thought I might be good at it.

I was not.

They give you 16 people saying different phrases from Rudyard Kipling's "If" and for each person you get to choose one of six countries given to you as options. I got 3 of 16 right. And what makes this more embarrassing is that I had 3 Americans and only guessed one of them correctly. I also guessed Canada and Scotland correctly. For some of the European countries I found it difficult because you get small ones like Slovakia, Belarus, etc. and you'd have to be pretty good to get those right.

My only other complaint about the game is that the phrases the people say are fairly short, and doesn't necessarily allow for much exposure to the intricacies of the person's accent. If the videos showed them reading a few sentences it might be a little easier.

I encourage you to check it out though, and see how you do.

Via Presurfer

1 comment:

Alex said...

I got 7 out of 16. That was worth 25 points, thanks to a few bonus points. I think I got two of the Americans. (They seemed easy to me.) I got the Canadian too. But how am I supposed to tell the difference between Estonia and Lithuania?