Sunday, May 11, 2008

Perfect Pronounciation

When I came to this country I was very intrigued at some of the differences between where I am from and where I now live. One of the especially interesting things that I still pay attention to is the pronunciation of words. In fact, my brother Jonathan and I were talking about one word in particular that we (as Canadians) say differently than people here in central California, asphalt. We say it (or used to say before we were corrected) ashphalt.

Check out this list of the 100 most often mispronounced words and phrases in English.

While I am guilty of saying some of these words incorrectly I think I do pretty well. The list doesn't have asphalt though. The other word I was very surprised that was not on this list was "Internet". I know a lot of people who pronounce it "Innernet" by replacing the "t" with a second "n".

These are just little things that can differentiate one region from another, and while they are not huge variations on the original words, if you hear someone say one of these mispronounced words and you are used to saying and hearing it said properly it will stick out like a sore thumb. I remember when I started college here, while in some sort of orientation class I was talking to the guy beside me and I said "Internet" to him, he stopped and looked at me funny and asked me to repeat the word. He says "Innernet".

(Via Duct Tape Marketing)

No comments: