Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kings

I watched the first episode of NBC's new series "Kings" this evening. Here are my thoughts.

  • It is based on the story of King Saul and King David from the bible. It takes place in what appears to be present-day United States, but rather than the US as a democratic country, it appears that it is a number of different monarchies and kingdoms.
  • The story, so far, seems to be generally following that of the biblical account. Obviously, a number of the aspects have modern twists. The epic battle between David and Goliath is portrayed as David going head to head with a type of tank called a Goliath.
  • I wonder if the series becomes popular will they start to change and add on to the story to allow the series to continue or will they keep with the biblical genealogy of David, then Solomon, etc.
  • There seems to be a fair amount of spiritual and God references, as well as what at least appears to be divine intervention in certain situations.
  • If the storyline does continue on with David and his genealogical line of Kings, it seems like they will have to write in a lot more about God into the story. I think this would be great, but I think this is unfortunately unlikely.
  • The visual effects and action scenes are pretty good
  • One of the real draws for me is that the fantasy of this show is strongly based in our current time period and is therefore easy to relate to. Even if some things like a King ruling a Kingdom within what I know to be the United States is far fetched, it's not a far stretch when the cars, computers, fashion, and all the other little things are the same. (Also one of my reasons for liking Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis so much.)
I still have yet to watch the second episode, which is also available on Hulu, and I believe the third episode airs tomorrow night (Sunday) on NBC.

As of right now, I am planning on keeping up with this series.

No comments: